Social Service Worker Cover Letter
Social Service Workers assist vulnerable individuals and help them get over issues such as family problems, school non-attendance, mental health conditions, disabilities, homelessness, or substance abuse. Essential job duties of a Social Service Worker include: assessing client situation, conducting interviews, managing social programs, writing assessments, referring clients to appropriate services, attending multidisciplinary meetings, and giving evidence in court.
Employers select candidates who are able to demonstrate the following Social Service Worker abilities throughout their cover letters:
- Social services training
- Being able to work under pressure and to handle crisis situations
- Self-drive and enthusiasm
- Negotiation and communication abilities
- Organizational skills
- Empathy and a genuine interest in helping people
- General administrative abilities
Comparable skills and abilities are visible in the example cover letter displayed beneath.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Social Service Worker Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Browne:
Upon learning of your need for a new Social Service Worker, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. My 12 years of experience in program management and client support—as well as my comprehensive education and training in psychology, sociology, and crisis intervention—give me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your establishment.
My background in social support, direct client assistance, and agency communications has prepared me to excel in this capacity with the City of Boulder. My communication strengths and ability to connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my talents in time management and organization, position me to thrive in this challenging role. Additionally, my advanced education and training—including a Master of Social Work degree attained from the University of Colorado, Boulder—is sure to make me an immediate asset to your team.
Consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Managing a caseload of approximately 37 clients per month with the City of Denver’s Human Services Divisions, conducting intake interviews, documenting detailed case notes and narratives, filing charts, scheduling appointments, writing reports, and coordinating ancillary agency referrals.
- Assisting individuals in coping with a variety of challenges and troubling situations including financial distress, homelessness, substance abuse, and terminal diseases.
- Implementing State and County policies into everyday practice while driving compliance with all State laws, regulations, and mandates.
- Attending numerous training programs and seminars to maintain up-to-date knowledge in the field of social work, as well as current awareness of local area resources to assist socioeconomically disadvantaged clients.
With my previous excellent experience and my advanced education, complemented by my fervent interest in providing critical assistance to those in need, I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position, and my qualifications, in further detail would be appreciated. Thank you for your consideration.
Gwen M. Lopez
Social work cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a social worker, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
As a social worker, you know the value of the ability to multitask—so should your cover letter. To be considered for top social work jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your clients. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for social work, or download the social work cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about health care careers and look for social worker jobs on Monster.
Social work letter template
Heather Jones, Lcsw
Sometown, CA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
August 10, 2017
Dr. Regina Hall
Director of Social Work Services
55 West St.
Sometown, CA 55555
Re: Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Ref. #12345, Advertised on Monster
Dear Dr. Hall:
ABC Organization has earned a reputation for delivering on its mission to provide innovative clinical programming and unsurpassed patient care. I share this mission, and would welcome the chance to discuss ways I can contribute to the continued success of your social work program.
As a dedicated LCSW, my background includes 15 years as a residential counselor, homeless shelter social worker, clubhouse assistant director and crisis and family services specialist. Repeatedly recognized for excellence in leading program development, service implementation and supportive counseling, I have served populations presenting a range of neurological and psychological disorders as well as emotional, behavioral, substance abuse and developmental challenges.
In all experiences, I used a strengths-based approach in treatment planning and focused on providing optimal psychosocial care. Career highlights include:
- Working with DEF Hospital’s social services director to implement Together for Success program serving psychiatrically diagnosed adults who are experiencing a crisis. The program has helped 100+ patients, diverting them from hospitalization and reintegrating them into the community.
- Contributing vision and direction to GHI House’s clubhouse model that helped a newly opened program in Sometown County attain and maintain Clubhouse International accreditation.
- Increasing residential placements 64% by developing partnerships with area landlords to gain their support and agree to provide rental housing for homeless tenants.
After earning an MSW from Sometown University, I recently returned to pursue a Doctor of Social Work (DSW) degree with a concentration in mental health. I am an LCSW in the State of California.
My experience providing guidance, assessment and treatment for diverse patient populations combined with an ability to manage programs and build alliances would be valuable to your social work program. Please call me at (555) 555-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting. Thank you.
Heather Jones, LCSW
See all sample cover letters on Monster.