Updated, March 2, 2017 | We published an updated version of this list, “401 Prompts for Argumentative Writing,” as well as a companion piece, “650 Prompts for Narrative and Personal Writing.” We also now have a PDF of these 200 prompts.
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter and get five new Student Opinion questions delivered to you every week.
What issues do you care most about? What topics do you find yourself discussing most passionately, whether online, at the dinner table, in the classroom or with your friends?
Our annual Student Editorial Contest invites you to write an evidence-based persuasive piece on an issue that matters to you. To help jump-start your brainstorming, we have gathered a list of 200 writing prompts from our daily Student Opinion feature that invite you to take a stand.
Though you won’t be limited to these topics for the contest, you’ll see that our list touches on every aspect of modern life, from politics to sports, culture, education and technology. We hope the range inspires you, and we hope the fact that each question links to at least one related Times article gives you a starting point for finding evidence.
So skim the list below to think about the topic you’d most like to take on.
For more information, here are links to our spring 2014 editorial-writing contest, a list of winners from that contest and a related lesson plan on argumentative writing.
- Is Cheating Getting Worse?
- Should Students Be Able to Grade Their Teachers?
- Does Your School Hand Out Too Many A’s?
- Should Middle School Students Be Drug Tested?
- Should Reading and Math Be Taught in Gym Class Too?
- How Seriously Should We Take Standardized Tests?
- How Well Do You Think Standardized Tests Measure Your Abilities?
- Do You Spend Too Much Time Preparing for Standardized Tests?
- Should Schools Offer Cash Bonuses for Good Test Scores?
- Should We Rethink How Long Students Spend in High School?
- Do Schools Provide Students With Enough Opportunities to Be Creative?
- What Are You Really Learning at School?
- How Important Is Arts Education?
- Does Gym Help Students Perform Better in All Their Classes?
- Who Should Be Able to See Students’ Records?
- Are Children of Illegal Immigrants Entitled to a Public Education?
- What Is the Right Amount of Group Work in School?
- Is Your School Day Too Short?
- Do You Think a Longer School Calendar Is a Good Idea?
- Should the Dropout Age Be Raised?
- Should Students Be Allowed to Skip Senior Year of High School?
- How Does Your School Deal With Students Who Misbehave?
- Should Schools Be Allowed to Use Corporal Punishment?
- How Big a Problem Is Bullying or Cyberbullying in Your School or Community?
- How Should Schools Address Bullying?
- Should Schools Put Tracking Devices in Students’ ID Cards?
- What Do You Think of Grouping Students by Ability in Schools?
- Do We Need a New Way to Teach Math?
- Does Class Size Matter?
- Should All Students Get Equal Space in a Yearbook?
- Is Prom Worth It?
- How Important Are Parent-Teacher Conferences?
- Should All Children Be Able to Go to Preschool?
- Should Colleges Use Admissions Criteria Other Than SAT Scores and Grades?
- What Criteria Should Be Used in Awarding Scholarships for College?
- Do You Support Affirmative Action?
- Do College Rankings Matter?
- How Necessary Is a College Education?
- Should Engineers Pay Less for College Than English Majors?
- Are the Web Filters at Your School Too Restrictive?
- Does Technology Make Us More Alone?
- Are You Distracted by Technology?
- Do Apps Help You or Just Waste Your Time?
- Do You Spend Too Much Time on Smart Phones Playing ‘Stupid Games’?
- Has Facebook Lost Its Edge?
- Does Facebook Ever Make You Feel Bad?
- Should What You Say on Facebook Be Grounds for Getting Fired?
- Should People Be Allowed to Obscure Their Identities Online?
- What Should the Punishment Be for Acts of Cyberbullying?
- Is Online Learning as Good as Face-to-Face Learning?
- Do Your Teachers Use Technology Well?
- Should Tablet Computers Become the Primary Way Students Learn in Class?
- Can Cellphones Be Educational Tools?
- Should Computer Games Be Used for Classroom Instruction?
- How Young Is Too Young for an iPhone?
- Should Companies Collect Information About You?
- Would You Trade Your Paper Books for Digital Versions?
- Are Digital Photographs Too Plentiful to Be Meaningful?
- Do You Worry We Are Filming Too Much?
- Would You Want a Pair of Google’s Computer Glasses?
- How Would You Feel About a Computer Grading Your Essays?
- What Role Will Robots Play in Our Future?
- How Many Text Messages Are Too Many?
- How Much Do You Trust Online Reviews?
- Why Do We Like to Watch Rich People on TV and in the Movies?
- Do TV Shows Like ‘16 and Pregnant’ Promote or Discourage Teenage Pregnancy?
- Does TV Capture the Diversity of America Yet?
- Is TV Too White?
- Is TV Stronger Than Ever, or Becoming Obsolete?
- Does Reality TV Promote Dangerous Stereotypes?
- What Current Musicians Do You Think Will Stand the Test of Time?
- What Artists or Bands of Today Are Destined for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?
- What Musician, Actor or Author Should Be a Superstar, but Hasn’t Quite Made It Yet?
- Will Musical Training Make You More Successful?
- Should Video Games Be Considered a Sport?
- Should Stores Sell Violent Video Games to Minors?
- Can a Video Game Be a Work of Art?
- Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent in Real Life?
- When Should You Feel Guilty for Killing Zombies?
- What Game Would You Like to Redesign?
- What Were the Best Movies You Saw in the Past Year?
- To What Writer Would You Award a Prize?
- Do You Prefer Your Children’s Book Characters Obedient or Contrary?
- Where Is the Line Between Truth and Fiction?
- Can Graffiti Ever Be Considered Art?
- Do We Need Art in Our Lives?
- What Makes a Good Commercial?
- Why Did a Cheerios Ad Attract So Many Angry Comments Online?
- Does Pop Culture Deserve Serious Study?
- Do Parents Have Different Hopes and Standards for Their Sons Than for Their Daughters?
- Is School Designed More for Girls Than Boys?
- Is There Too Much Pressure on Girls to Have ‘Perfect’ Bodies?
- How Much Pressure Do Boys Face to Have the Perfect Body?
- Do Photoshopped Images Make You Feel Bad About Your Own Looks?
- Is It O.K. for Men and Boys to Comment on Women and Girls on the Street?
- What Should We Do to Fight Sexual Violence Against Young Women?
- How Do You Feel About Rihanna and Chris Brown Getting Back Together?
- Do Fraternities Promote Misogyny?
- Why Aren’t There More Girls in Leadership Roles?
- Why Aren’t More Girls Choosing to Pursue Careers in Math and Science?
- Should Women Be Allowed to Fight on the Front Lines Alongside Men?
- Do You Believe in Equal Rights for Women and Men?
- Are Women Better at Compromising and Collaborating?
- Do Boys Have Less Intense Friendships Than Girls?
- If Football Is So Dangerous to Players, Should We Be Watching It?
- Should Parents Let Their Children Play Football?
- Should College Football Players Get Paid?
- When Do Pranks Cross the Line to Become Bullying?
- Has Baseball Lost Its Cool?
- Are Some Youth Sports Too Intense?
- Is It Offensive for Sports Teams to Use Native American Names and Mascots?
- Where Should Colleges and Sports Teams Draw the Line in Selling Naming Rights?
- Should Colleges Fund Wellness Programs Instead of Sports?
- Is Cheerleading a Sport?
- How Big a Deal Is It That an N.B.A. Player Came Out as Gay?
- Should There Be Stricter Rules About How Coaches Treat Their Players?
- Should Athletes Who Dope Have to Forfeit Their Titles and Medals?
- Should Sports Betting Be Legal Everywhere?
- Should Home-Schoolers Be Allowed to Play Public School Sports?
- Would You Want a Bike Share Program for Your Community?
- What Local Problems Do You Think Your Mayor Should Try to Solve?
- If You Were Governor of Your State, How Would You Spend a Budget Surplus?
- When Is the Use of Military Force Justified?
- What Is More Important: Our Privacy or National Security?
- Should the U.S. Be Spying on Its Friends?
- Do You Trust Your Government?
- What Do You Think of the Police Tactic of Stop-and-Frisk?
- Do Rich People Get Off Easier When They Break the Law?
- Should Rich People Have to Pay More Taxes?
- Do Laws That Ban Offensive Words Make the World a Better Place?
- Is It Principled, or Irresponsible, for Politicians to Threaten a Shutdown?
- Do Leaders Have Moral Obligations?
- Do Great Leaders Have to Be Outgoing?
- How Should We Prevent Future Mass Shootings?
- Should Guns Be Permitted on College Campuses?
- Would You Feel Safer With Armed Guards Patrolling Your School?
- What Is Your Relationship With Guns?
- Do You Support or Oppose the Death Penalty?
- When Should Juvenile Offenders Receive Life Sentences?
- Do We Give Children Too Many Trophies?
- When Do You Become an Adult?
- When Should You Be Able to Buy Cigarettes, Drink Alcohol, Vote, Drive and Fight in Wars?
- Should the Morning-After Pill Be Sold Over the Counter to People Under 17?
- Should Birth Control Pills Be Available to Teenage Girls Without a Prescription?
- Is Modern Culture Ruining Childhood?
- Are Adults Hurting Young Children by Pushing Them to Achieve?
- How, and by Whom, Should Children Be Taught Appropriate Behavior?
- What Can Older People Learn From Your Generation?
- Do ‘Shame and Blame’ Work to Change Teenage Behavior?
- How Should Children Be Taught About Puberty and Sex?
- Is Dating a Thing of the Past?
- How Should Parents Handle a Bad Report Card?
- Should Children Be Allowed to Wear Whatever They Want?
- How Should Educators and Legislators Deal With Minors Who ‘Sext’?
- Do You Think Child Stars Have It Rough?
- Is Smoking Still a Problem Among Teenagers?
- Are Antismoking Ads Effective?
- Is Drinking and Driving Still a Problem for Teenagers?
- Do You Think a Healthier School Lunch Program Is a Lost Cause?
- How Concerned Are You About Where Your Food Comes From?
- Is It Ethical to Eat Meat?
- Do You Prefer Your Tacos ‘Authentic’ or ‘Appropriated’?
- Should the Government Limit the Size of Sugary Drinks?
- Should Marijuana Be Legal?
- Should Students Be Required to Take Drug Tests?
- Do Bystanders Have a Responsibility to Intervene When There is Trouble?
- Should You Care About the Health and Safety of Those Making Your Clothing?
- Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- Does Buying and Accumulating More and More Stuff Make Us Happier?
- Are We Losing the Art of Listening?
- Do People Complain Too Much?
- Can Kindness Become Cool?
- Which Is More Important: Talent or Hard Work?
- How Important Is Keeping Your Cool?
- When Should You Compromise?
- Is Your Generation More Self-Centered Than Earlier Generations?
- Can You Be Good Without God?
- Have Curse Words Become So Common They Have Lost Their Shock Value?
- What Words or Phrases Should Be Retired in 2014?
- What Words or Phrases Do You Think Are Overused?
- Should Couples Live Together Before Marriage?
- How Important Do You Think It Is to Marry Someone With the Same Religion?
- How Long Is It O.K. to Linger in a Cafe or Restaurant?
- Does Keeping a Messy Desk Make People More Creative?
- How Important Is Keeping a Clean House?
- Should Scientists Try to Help People Beat Old Age So We Can Live Longer Lives?
- Given Unlimited Resources, What Scientific or Medical Problem Would You Investigate?
- When Is It O.K. to Replace Human Limbs With Technology?
- Do You Think Life Exists — or Has Ever Existed — Somewhere Besides Earth?
- Should Fertilized Eggs Be Given Legal ‘Personhood’?
- How Concerned Are You About Climate Change?
- Is It Wrong for a Newspaper to Publish a Front-Page Photo of a Man About to Die?
- What Causes Should Philanthropic Groups Finance?
- Should Charities Focus More on America?
- Should the Private Lives of Famous People Be Off Limits?
- Did a Newspaper Act Irresponsibly by Publishing the Addresses of Gun Owners?
- Would You Rather Work From Home or in an Office?
- What Time Should Black Friday Sales Start?
- Do You Shop at Locally Owned Businesses?
- How Much Does Your Neighborhood Define Who You Are?
Technology and Social Media
Arts and Media: TV, Music, Video Games and Literature
Sports and Athletics
Politics and the Legal System
Parenting and Childhood
Health and Nutrition
Personal Character and Morality Questions
Students are used to the fact that their professors give them the assignment’s topic. It minimizes the efforts they spend on the homework tasks as choosing the relevant, interesting persuasive essay topics all alone may be a time-consuming task based on the in-depth research. Many students think it is a waste of time. In fact, they should perceive the ability to select the topic as a wonderful opportunity rather than another academic nightmare. No matter how good persuasive speech topics given by the teacher are, the student is not able to reject them in case he/she does not know much about the problem. If you can pick the issue on your own, it is possible to come up with the problem of interest!
GRAB IMMEDIATE HOMEWORK HELP
What about taking some time to learn how to pick good persuasive essay topics for high school? This article provides 100 excellent, interesting persuasive essay topics, but you can support the final choice with a reliable, 100% satisfactory academic writing help from the top preferred writers!
Difference between Good Persuasive Speech Topics and Argumentative Topics
Do not hurry to jump over to the list of 101 good persuasive speech topics without reading the basics. A student is free to compose a paper on any topic in the world, which related to the field of studies. That is wonderful! What is the student understand the subject and has no idea of what an argumentative/ debatable/persuasive writing means? The obvious step to take is to find what the term means.
Students use to confuse the two terms, great argumentative writing ideas and interesting persuasive essay topics because these two genres of academic assignment have a lot of nuances in common. It does not matter if the writer finds a list of interesting persuasive essay topics and then prepares an argumentative essay on one of those ideas. The approach to writing should be different. Learn more by attending the academic service’s blog full of useful, time-tested tips on writing.
An argumentative paper is a part of the persuasion. It has to state the main point, thesis statement, and defend it throughout the paper while an essay on the good persuasive speech topics must prove the truth of the author to the target audience. The reader should take the author’s side by the end of the reading. That is why choosing only interesting persuasive essay topics is critical.
100 Interesting Persuasive Essay Topics to Cover
It is time to have a look at the 100 interesting persuasive essay topics shared by the top writers from different parts of the world! Do not forget to develop an efficient outline to succeed!
GET PERSUASIVE ESSAY FROM EXPERT
Persuasive Essay Topics for Elementary Students
- Monkeys would make excellent pets
- Having siblings or being alone in the family?
- Will waking up and seeing the dinosaur next to you push you to give the creature away to the zoo?
- The most effective superpower to possess is the ability to fly
- The most gorgeous seasons of the year is summer/winter
- Should a scientist who discovered an invisibility potion share it with other people?
- A ticket seller at the football stadium is the most boring job in the world
- Parents must allow their kids to paint on their walls to personalize the bedroom and show their individualities Making friends with everyone around will do a good favor in the future
- Carrying a brand new iPhone everywhere does not create our image; it points to how much money our parents earn
Good Persuasive Essay Topics for High School Children
- The death penalty is an effective way to scare off the criminals
- Every person is free to change his/her name without any obstacles at any life stage
- The moral obligations of the nation’s leaders, including presidents and bosses of huge companies
- Rich people must be forced to pay higher taxes to support the financial balance
- What is the effective way to avert the potential mass shootings at the US high schools?
- Are fashion and one’s personal preferences important?
- Is there anything older generation can learn from the modern youth?
- Censorship plays the most significant role in the digital world
- They should lower the voting age to get more accurate results
- National security is more important than privacy
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education to Support the Academic Improvements
- Studying the nature of videos/computer games & mobile apps may be beneficial for the IT students
- The existing means of high school discipline are not effective enough to control groups of teens
- The standardized evaluation is not a precise measure of student learning progress and personal development
- The children in provisional living conditions with a 4.0 GPA must earn a free university education
- Is it ethical to place physically or mentally disabled children in the separate school classes?
- Which type of preventive measure could stop the high school bullying?
- Are video games capable of stimulating teenagers to use a weapon in the educational institutions?
- Students performance during the physical education lessons in gym affects their great point average
- The teachers should wear a special uniform like the professionals from other fields associated with public services
- Less successful students should not be forced to retake the course until they obtain a passing grade
Science Persuasive Essay Topics: Breakthrough in Technologies and More
- The US Environmental Protection Agency does not use its full capacity to make the environment better
- The era described in the “Blade Runner” movie is coming closer to each new day and robot created
- The alternative source of energy may replace the fossil fuels
- The human activity has nothing to do with the progress of global warming
- Modern planes do not fall without a good scientific reason: most of the catastrophes are the outcomes of terrorism
- People are guilty of the extinction of many rare species of animals & plants
- The genetically modified food is not safe
- Should there be a restriction on the number of children in every US family like they have in China?
- Is it ethical to clone animals?
- Is marijuana good for curing various mental disorders?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Animals & Plants
- Hunting is not ethical in any life situation
- Zoos are not helpful in wildlife conservation
- London Zoo is the largest zoo in the world offering its animals the luxury conditions
- People cannot keep rare, exotic animals at home turning them into their pets
- Is it fine to create mixed hybrids through breeding homeless dogs and cats?
- Rewards. Vs. Punishment: which is a better measure to train and control pet’s behavior?
- Vegetarianism does not help the animal world the way some people think
- Killing animals to get their fur for the fashion industry is immoral & unethical
- Poaching negatively affects the economy, so the responsible faces should do something to improve the situation
- What led to the extinction of the great mammals like mammoths & wooly rhinoceros?
Persuasive Essay Topics about Music & Artists
- Pirating music in the digital age is the serious threat to the entire country’s economy
- Great Britain does not dominate the music world since the 90s and the breakup/separation of “The Beatles.”
- The grunge music and gothic rock/post-punk music have fewer differences than they have similarities
- Music can be a part of the perfect rehabilitation procedure in the local prisons
- The cost of music, app, game, & video downloads on App Store is very high
- Various significances in songs make people react to the music tracks in different ways
- Chinese music is an original art form, which has not developed significantly since Ling Lun’s foundation of 60 bells
- Vietnam War epoch music inspired further discussions on the innovative & revolutionary approaches to thinking
- Music is the top recommended therapy for the cure of mental illnesses
- Technology has a positive impact on music as there is no need to have humans to create a band and deliver music to public
Sports Persuasive Essay Topics Students & Young Athletes Will Enjoy
- Animal sports like horse racing are not ethical or moral
- There is no way to include tobacco and alcohol beverages advertising during the translated sports events
- The sportsmen should not drink alcohol by any means
- It is not safe to take part in the extreme activities for entertainment
- The Government of Spain must forbid the bullfighting across the country even though it is the face of the national sports
- In swimming and dancing, women perform better than most of the men
- The best coaches in the world are under the equal threat of losing their self-control
- Women team players cannot take part in the mixed-gender sports games
- The inborn talents of the athletes matter more than the skills & experience of their trainers
- Coaches should punish the sportsmen for taking steroids severer than they do now
Complicated Ideas for Debates
- The oil companies are supposed to be more responsible concerning the oil spills
- Human behavior a result of nature
- Sex education classes would make sense to the younger teenagers
- The modern US legal system exploits the minorities despite the constitution and existing laws
- The gun control legislation has much more disadvantages than advantages
- There is no need to van modern television or some of the shows – Interne is a worse threat to society
- Do famous people make a mockery of the right to privacy?
- Should the legal drinking/smoking/driving/voting age of the person be brought down to 18 in the United States?
- Are open borders possible in the foreseeable future?
- Europeans would lose the World War II without the American intervention and on-time help
Moral Issues to Cover in Persuasive Speech & Debates
- Animal testing is necessary for the human kind, so it should not come
- Hospital patients possess a right to die through the physician-assisted suicide
- Physician-assisted suicide is not illegal and can be implemented in the corresponding situations
- They should ban children’s beauty pageants to make the world better
- The US customers must stop purchasing goods from countries that exploit child labor
- Atheists are not less moral than theists
- Should young adolescents be allowed to make cosmetic surgery?
- Should people start selling beer to college students?
- Is a camera in public place an invasion of privacy?
- Dreamers must obtain permission to stay in the US
- Both educational institutions & businesses should provide more incentives to do volunteer work
Mixed Argumentative Ideas to Use in School/College Essay
- Atheists & religious people must exercise tolerance with each other
- Discussing the major problems associated with Iraq & Afghanistan continuously evokes irritation and aggression
- Was the “sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll” epoch significant in the history of art, or not?
- Whose side do you support: vegetarians or meat eaters?
- Should the maniacs who kill people without reason be sentenced to death?
- Free bagels with sour cream motivate the student to study as they stimulate the brain activity
- Unpopular opinion: The Black Square by Kazimir Malevich has nothing special about it
- Talking about cheating is embarrassing while discussing various sex issues is fine
- The art for masses has nothing to do with the masterpieces created by the elite community
- Modern women look worse than women of 80s when they were not too thin and looked more natural
Interesting is not a single word the student must think about. The chosen issue has to be essential and informative, meaning the writer should check whether there is enough information available on the web/in the college library.
Once the student understands it, he/she can move to the process of selecting the topic. There is no need to collect the possible ideas independently – meet out the list of the cool persuasive topics shared by the most successful students and their teachers around the world!