Introduction: Internet is a world-wide network of computerized devices and servers. Data travels to and fro among computer systems and servers.
Around three billion people around the world are using internet. The countries with largest number of internet users includes China, United States, and India.
The organization that provides the internet facility to users is called Internet Service Provider (ISP). They normally charge a usage based fees from the customers.
There are many advantages of internet.
- We can make donations online.
- We can send and receive information across large matrix of computer systems. Through email service, we can send messages for both business and personal purposes.
- Internet has opened doors for virtual online offices.
- During the festive season, we don’t need to visit crowed stores to buy our stuff. We can make online purchases at a bargain price.
- We can send birthday greeting cards through the internet.
- Before making any purchases, we can check online for user reviews of the products that we intend to buy.
- We can use social media applications on our personal computer and mobile devices. In this way, we can reconnect to our old school friends.
- We can gather information for new job openings. We can also apply online for jobs.
- We can earn online by doing freelancing jobs, selling online, completing surveys, affiliate marketing, etc.
- We can also sell old items that are of no use for us.
- During idle time, we can listen to music or watch a video.
Also read: Essay on Internet and Its Uses
The disadvantages of internet are:
- We often tend to purchase those extra items that we rarely need. Such purchases are a wastage of money.
- The internet is not free. Sometimes, it hurts while paying bills.
- There are hundreds of vendors selling products of various brands. We get confused with too many choices.
- The transaction cost levied by the payment gateway providers decreases the margin of the online sellers.
- Too many contradictory review leads us nowhere.
- The physical distance among loved ones is increasing.
- Somewhere the emotional connect between people are missing.
- We feel helpless when the internet connection is down.
- We always remain engaged with many online activities such as checking emails, socializing, chatting, online shopping, business-deals, etc. We don’t get time to rest.
- Our life is moving at the pace of internet. We seldom spare few moments of peace for us.
We have the intellect to make smart choices. We should not allow internet to distract or disturb our mind. We should use it in a way that brings harmony in life.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles
Advantages and disadvantages of internet use amongst children and adults can be viewed from various angles - objectively, or subjectively. If a person is in favor of technology, then he/she might find more advantages than disadvantages for its use. However, if a person believes in manual work and that technology may one day be used to replace human work, then the he/she may view internet use to be more damaging than good. In responding to this question, it is my hope to be neutral and state the disadvantages and advantages as matter-of-fact. So here goes...
Internet use has several advantages, of which a few are included below, among children and adults. They are:
1. It provides access to a wealth of referenced sources and information, as well as, common information from around the globe.
2. It allows people (i.e. family members, different races and cultures, different economic and social backgrounds, etc.) to connect and exchange ideas, personal and professional experiences, as well as, historical and up-to-date events and activities.
3. It facilitates classroom enrichment activities, opportunities for learning and work, as well as immediate transmittal of critical, or time-based, documents.
Internet use has several disadvantages, of which a few are included below, among children and adults. They are:
1. It can serve as an avenue for predators to find victims.
2. It is available only to families and businesses that have the resources to subscribe to its services, or have access through other locations.
3. It may cause people to lose track of time and even become severely attached, or addicted, to its use.